In this page we selected only some of the numerous books that can give you practical advice and suggestions. This list contains some inspirational and useful volumes that will be good friends in any storytelling adventure (See section Toolbox for Storytellers).
- Daniel, Alastair K. 2012. Storytelling across the primary curriculum. New York: Routledge.
- Ellis, Gail and Brewster, Jean. 2014. Tell it Again. The Storytelling Handbook for Primary English Language Teachers. 3rdEd. British Council. www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/tell-it-again-storytelling-handbook-primary-english-language-teachers
- Heathfield, David. 2014. Storytelling With Our Students: Techniques for telling tales from around the world.Peaslake, Surrey: Delta Teacher Development Series DELTA.
- Lado, Ana. 2012. Teaching Beginner ELL’s Using Picture Books: Tellability. Thousand Oaks (California): Corwin.
- Maley, Alan. 2000. The Language Teacher’s Voice.London: Macmillan Education.
- Morgan, John and Rinvolucri, Mario. 1983. Once Upon a Time: Using Stories in the Language Classroom.Cambridge: C.U.P.
- Slattery, Mary and Willis, Jane. 2001. English for primary teachers: a handbook of activities and classroom language. Oxford: O.U.P.
- Taeschner, Traute. 2005. The Magic Teacher. Learning a Foreign Language at nursery school.(Italian original edition 2002). London: CILT, the National Center for Languages.
- Terrusi, Marcella. 2017. Meraviglie mute. Silent book e letteratura per l’infanzia. Roma: Carocci Editore.
- Valentino Merletti, Rita. 2002. Raccontar Storie.2ndEd. Milano: Mondadori.
- Wright, Andrew. 2009. Storytelling with Children.2ndEd. Oxford: O.U.P.
Picture Books are effective tools for storytelling in English L2, in this kind of books illustrations are as important as words in telling the story.
Here you can find the picture books we selected for Let's Tell a Tale 2018/2019 initiative.
In our storytelling events we used also a particular kind of picture books, they are called Silent Books. These books have no written words, the story is told by the images. They are powerful tools for language teaching and learning.
Enjoy this video about the power of the silent book L'Albero by Iela Mari.
Here you can find a selection of Silent Books about animals, nature and eco sustainability.